Amrit Yoga Institute
Salt Springs, FL
AYI is a beautiful retreat center dedicated to serving and awakening the highest consciousness within all.
Unity Plaza has partnered with the Amrit Yoga Institute to provide Jacksonville with year-round life-enriching courses held on our new campus located at 220 Riverside Avenue. Facilitated by the senior faculty of the institute, these classes will address the holistic needs of our community by providing experiential education for physical health, social-emotional well-being, and spirituality.
What are the Amit Methods?
Amrit Yoga Institute – 2015 Program Schedule
12-Week “I Am” Series – Tuesday, May 5 – Tuesday July 21 @ 6:30pm – 8:30pm
Tues. May 5: Understanding Intention
Tues. May 12: Aligning Your Life
Tues. May 19: Breathing into Peace
Tues. May 26: Focusing the Mind
Tues. June 2: Concentration
Tues. June 9 Meditating into Peace
Tues. June 16: Integrating Your Life
Tues. June 23: Realizing Self
Tues. June 30: Dis-identifying From Past Pain
Tues. July 7: Restoring the Body
Tues. July 14: From Thinking to Being
Tues. July 21: I AM The three Keys
Classes sold separately or as a discounted package. See below for individual class descriptions
Monthly Mantra, Movement, & Meditation Class – 3rd Wednesdays @ 6:30pm – 8pm | Cost: Donation
What is it? The Mantra (chanting or music), Movement & Meditation is a beautiful technique that uses inward focus and sound vibration to ‘drop you in’ to stillness. It is designed to engage you so completely that ‘thinking, doing, and feeling’ are in co-creative harmony. It is holistic in its approach, unifying you in your ‘Being Presence’ so you can go beyond the limitations of the body and mind to connect with the Divine within.
- We experience this together in a safe and sacred environment that is unconditionally accepting.
- In chanting mantra, the secret power hidden in the syllables of ancient chants carries profound meaning that is not to be understood intellectually but is revealed energetically and experientially. The mantra itself turns into merging meditation.
- Mantra chanting automatically restores fragmented attention and energy.
- When you combine music with mantra it turns into a celestial sound that touches your soul. Then it becomes both relaxing and therapeutic, as well as spiritually awakening.
- Chanting is not complete until it enters your heart, opens all your centers, vibrates every cell, banishes all boundaries of the body, and dissolves your mind into a flood of energy.
- The mystical power of chanting is its ability to invoke various energetic states that correspond to each chakra, which in turn activates the neuroglandular system.
Monthly Themed Workshops | Cost: $35 each
- Relaxing Into Life – Saturday, May 16, 2015 @ 10am-12pm
- Mastering Your Emotions – Saturday, July 18, 2015 @ 10am-12pm
- Managing the Mind – Saturday, August 15, 2015 @ 1-3pm
- Revolutionize Your Relationships: Yogic Perspectives on Skillful Relating – Saturday, October 31, 2015 @ 10am-12pm
- Free the Patterns That Bind You: Living Your Authentic Self – Saturday, November 21, 2015 @ 10am-12pm
- Living the Light: Healing From the Inside Out – Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:30-8:30pm
Amrit Lifestyle Weekend Retreat @ Unity Plaza – Saturday, June 20 – Saturday, June 21 | Cost: $199
Enjoy a taste of what Amrit Yoga has to offer: yoga, meditation, breath work, workshops, and great company. Enjoy an introductory weekend to the Integrative Amrit Methods of Yoga and Yoga Nidra (sleep based guided meditation). Your weekend includes all classes. No previous yoga experience is necessary.
Spiritual Teaching with Yoga Master, Yogi Amrit Desai
Sun. October 18, 2015 @ 9am-12pm
Gurudev Yogi Amrit Desai is recognized as one of the pioneers of the authentic teachings of yoga in the West. He was born in Halol in Gujurat, India in 1932, and in 1947 he met his teacher, Babuji, who had come to Halol to teach. He immediately became a disciple of the master, and has followed his teachings ever since.
After studying engineering and then teaching high school in India, the young Amrit Desai arrived in America in February 1960, initially to study art. But his spiritual mission drove him to begin teaching yoga, and that rapidly became his true life’s work. Read his full biography here.
REGISTER FOR THESE PROGRAMS TODAY! Click Here
Class Descriptions: 12 Week “I Am” Series
Week 1: Tues. May 5: Understanding Intention
Most of us do not truly know what we want in life. We continually doubt ourselves and change our mind. We long to relax and be at peace, but our experience is usually one of hurry and chaos as we juggle our responsibilities.
Through use of Intention, you can create a life of purpose and peace. You will gain clarity on how you want to experience your life and then use your personal intention to guide you towards fulfillment throughout the journey, not only when you reach your destination. As a result, life flows effortlessly; you are more relaxed and absorbed in what you are doing.
- Gain clarity on how you want to experience life
- Create a personal intention to give your life direction and experience peace all along the way
- Understand the difference between goals and intentions
- Learn how to use intention during times of uncertainty or crisis
Week 2: Tues. May 12: Aligning Your Life
Yoga is a system of integration where your thinking, doing and being are operating in harmony. When all aspects of you are in alignment, life becomes an effortless flow. In this workshop you will learn how to manage your thoughts, emotions and fears, returning to a state of wholeness, health and integration.
- Understand how to respond to life instead of unconsciously and automatically reacting to life
- Learn how to break reactive thoughts and self-defeating habits
- Use body and breath awareness techniques to return to a state of integration and relaxation instantly
Week 3: Tues. May 19: Breathing into Peace
The breath is the most fundamental, visible link to life. It is the bridge between body, mind and soul, making it a powerful medium to connect to the peaceful presence within. When breath is combined with focused awareness, it instantly reduces stress and returns you to a state of relaxation and peace.
- Learn how the breath releases the unconscious forces that keep you from being relaxed and peaceful
- Use yogic breathing techniques to reduce stress and fatigue
- Understand how the breath harmonizes the body, mind, heart and soul; taking you to the state of peace
Week 4: Tues. May 26: Focusing the Mind
In the practice of yoga, we move from thinking to feeling, which ultimately leads to a state relaxation and balance. As you focus the restless mind on sensations in the body, you connect to the present moment. It is only in this moment that you can truly live your life and experience the peace of being present. Often we find ourselves living in the past or the future experiencing anxiety, worry, frustration and fear. In the present, there is nothing to regret and nothing to fear.
- Re-connect to the wisdom of the body through sensation
- Learn how acceptance and focusing on bodily sensations opens the heart center and calms the mind
- Use the yogic techniques of breath and inward focus to relax with life situations
Week 5: Tues. June 2: Concentration
Connecting to the wisdom of your body becomes a gateway to enter the heart center and the higher centers of consciousness. Concentrating on the biological sensations in the body releases the psychological blocks caused by attachments to pleasure and fear of pain which work against our health and well being. As you withdraw your attention from mental, emotional and physical disturbances, you enter a state of meditative awareness where you experience peace from the restless mind.
- Learn how to resolve the body/ mind conflict that causes stress and disease
- Learn yogic techniques to internally cleanse the body, re-establishing the body’s innate healing wisdom
- Understand how concentration can release unconscious psychological blockages that keep you from enjoying life.
Week 6: Tues. June 9: Meditating into Peace
Go beyond your self-image and learn the nature of your true Self through the powerful technique of meditative awareness. Rather than taking extra time to practice, it is simply a shift in consciousness which yogis call the Witness. The Witness reveals our unconscious fears and provides the opportunity to release them and connect us to the state of fearlessness and calm. As you learn to practice meditative awareness through the technique of witnessing, you enter the journey of self discovery.
- Learn how to cross unconscious boundaries that hold you back
- Understand your true nature and the mask of the self-image
- Learn how the clarity of meditative awareness can solve problems and resolve conflicts
Week 7: Tues. June 16: Integrating Your Life
Many people experience overwhelm and stress from managing too many responsibilities and situations. Rather than experiencing peace, we feel scattered.
Yoga is a system of integration which brings the parts together to form a whole. As you learn to practice the integrative techniques of yoga, your life comes back into balance and you enter the state of relaxation with everything you do. How you think and feel come together, entering a state of wholeness and integration.
- Learn body and breath awareness techniques to reduce stress
- Understand how to use intention to gain clarity about your life situations
- Understand how acceptance leads to change
Week 8: Tues. June 23: Realizing Self
Understand the nature of your true Self, the ever-present background of silent stillness. The more you connect to who you really are, the less you are effected by who you are not, the unconsciously self-sabotaging self-image. In this workshop you learn how to connect to the loving source of life, the powerful presence of your true nature.
- Learn a guided meditation technique that connects you the divine within
- Learn to release the stress and conflicts from the self-image, entering a state of relaxed awareness and stillness.
Week 9: Tues. June 30: Dis-identifying From Past Pain
We are much more than our physical body. Pain and illness manifest first in the subtler aspect of ourselves, such as our thoughts and energy, before they even become visible in the physical body.
In this workshop you will learn the true meaning of karma (action) and how to skillfully work within the universal laws of cause and effect. You will learn yoga techniques to work with karma and these subtle, invisible aspects of being, helping you to reduce pain from the root cause rather than addressing the gross symptoms after they’ve grown visible.
- Discover the nature of your true Self, the soul within
- Learn a powerful yoga technique to dis-identify and reduce physical or emotional pain
- Use a guided relaxation technique that reduces pain from the root
Week 10: Tues. July 7: Restoring the Body
The body has an innate homeostatic mechanism for maintaining inner harmony, balance and health called the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. In our stress filled lives, the sympathetic NS becomes over stimulated and the parasympathetic NS is no longer able to balance it.
In this workshop, you will learn a powerful relaxation technique called Yoga Nidra. This sleep-based meditation technique allows you to release the physical, mental and emotional blockages that keep the body from restoring and healing itself naturally and automatically.
When you learn how to release these blockages through Yoga Nidra, your body begins to replace the degenerative cycle of stress with a regenerative cycle of healing. The whole body begins to rejuvenate optimally.
- Experience a powerful and effortless relaxation method called Yoga Nidra
- Learn how Yoga Nidra releases the mental, emotional and physical blockages that cause stress related illnesses.
Week 11: Tues. July 14: From Thinking to Being
Normally, we live life mentally through our mind, rather than through the experience of feeling and being. We live what we think about life, rather than living life. In this workshop, you will learn the nature of your true Self and how to experience life directly. This is a process of shifting from the head to the heart as you learn to live from your feeling center and enter the state of being. This is a state of integration where life becomes a relaxed flow.
- Understand the nature of your true Self
- Learn to detach from thoughts and opinions that keep you from experiencing feeling and being.
- Connect to the wisdom of your body and the present moment
Week 12: Tues. July 21: I AM: Meditation in Motion: The Three Keys
What does it look like to live your life as a Meditation in Motion? In this workshop we will explore moving from effort to following life’s natural rhythm and flow. You will be introduced to an ancient Yogic technique that was given to Yogi Amrit Desai from his Teacher, naming this technique as his greatest gift to the West. This simple to learn technique can transform your daily life from conflict to peace in a matter of minutes. Through a process of both explanation and experience you will gain understanding on how to follow your vital life force energy which is often dominated by the mind. This will open you to living life as a conscious flow or Meditation in Motion.
- Understand life as true Grace in action
- Follow divine energy through sensation in the body
- Learn how to “reset” in peace when the mind is overly active
EACH CLASS CAN BE PURCHASED SEPARATELY FOR $25 IN ADVANCE / $30 AT DOOR OR AS A FULL PACKAGE FOR $249. LIMITED SEATING AVAILABLE.
Unity Plaza, launching May 1, 2015, will be a vibrant hub for all things wellness in Jacksonville, Florida. With 365 days of events, we are the place to come for nourishment, inspiration, education, and meaningful connection. Our daily, weekly, and monthly activities help the community restore balance, cultivate inner peace, and ultimately become a better version of themselves. From free daily yoga classes, to weekend workshops, seminars, festivals, and conferences, we make it easy to learn new ways to get healthy, stay happy, and feel connected.
Contact the UP Wellness Department for more information:
Kristi Lee Schatz, Director of Wellness
Unity Plaza – 220 Riverside Avenue (Historic Brooklyn Neighborhood), Jacksonville, Florida | 904-363-9002